Updating the galley was not necessary, but it was something Allison and I wanted. The old countertops were pretty worn and stained. So I pulled all the trim off and bought a sheet of laminate and some glue from Lowes for around 60 bucks. Well worth it for the improvement. The pieces of counter that could be easily removed from the boat, I did, and used my cutoff bit in my router to trim the excess laminate around the edges after gluing. The large pieces of counter I had to leave in the boat and precut the new laminate to fit. After spraying the glue I got ready to place the new laminate top on. I was a little nervous because the glue was so sticky I knew I only had one chance to get it lined up precisely. About the time I started to go for it, Allison ask how I learned to do this. I told her, "that's what we're doing." I think it turned out pretty well.